nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fire Blight Pruning Tools?

  • From: "Robert C. Mullins" <mullins@gaelicmysts.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fire Blight Pruning Tools?
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 10:58:56 -0500

If memory serves, alcohol works well on Gram negative bacteria, but only moderately well on gram positive. It has been along time since microbiology. Depending on what Fire Blight really is from a structural standpoint I think alcohol may serve moderately well on sanitizing your instrument.

One thing to keep in mind is that alcohol has a much higher vapor point than bleach, so pruning during warm weather may prove to be difficult as you can set a jar of alcohol out and practically watch the level of alcohol dissipate.

Probably not a direct answer, but that's all I have. ;)

nottke1 wrote:
I have switched from using bleach to alcohol to sterilize clippers between
cuts in removing fire blight. The alcohol (straight from the bottle) is much
less corrosive on the tools. Does anyone know if it is just as effective as
bleach?
Thanks.

Jim Nottke
Zone 7