nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Raspberry dormancy?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Raspberry dormancy?
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 10:38:06 -0400

Thanks to all who replied.  I looked more closely last night, and it appears that only one of the stalks even has a bud on it - clearly the vendor expected them to send up new shoots from the roots, rather than bud out from the above-ground portion.  It appears a second one may be sending up a shoot as well.

My established raspberries break bud a few weeks before new shoots emerge, and the new Caroline is only about a week behind the established Fall Red for new shoots, which wouldn't be unusual for a different cultivar with different winter experience.  So I'm going to give it a little longer and hope they all sprout.

Ginda
Eastern MA, zone 6