nafex - [NAFEX] Raspberry dormancy?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Raspberry dormancy?
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 9:18:57 -0400

I bought some Caroline raspberries this spring. I planted them promptly,
on a damp overcast day, being careful to keep the roots shaded by my body
until they went into the ground. That was weeks ago, and they still
haven't sprouted, the buds haven't even swollen. One (of 5) has a new
shoot coming up from the roots.

The plants looked fine when I got them, not dried up or anything. After
waiting a week or two I cut off the top inch of one, and observed that the
cane was firm with normal-looking green cambium.

Is there any chance they are still dormant for some reason? (My
established raspberries sprouted a few weeks ago. They are 'fall red'.)
Should I be bugging the seller about a refund or replacement? Is there
anything else I can do?
___
Ginda
easterm Mass., zone 6