nafex - Re: [NAFEX] chemical pest control

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] chemical pest control
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:15:15 -0500

Use of Imidan and Guthion alternatives for plum curculio control

Efficacy ratings below are from the Cornell University and Penn State University (PSU) tree fruit pest management guides ( http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/treefruit/ and http://www.cas.psu.edu/docs/CASDEPT/hort/TFPG/default.htm ).  Cornell uses a three-point scale (Good, Fair, Poor).  Penn State uses a four-point scale (Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor).  The PSU Excellent and Good ratings were combined to create this list.

        Imidan has the highest rating given by both the Cornell and PSU guides for plum curculio control.  Alternatives to Imidan and Guthion, sorted by efficacy rating:

        Excellent or Good: Asana**, Avaunt, Calypso, Warrior**.  Actara (PSU - Good),  Sevin (PSU - Good), Danitol** (PSU - Good), Diazinon* (PSU - Good), Permethrin** (PSU - Good).

        Fair: Diazinon* (Cornell), Dimethoate*, Lannate* & **, Sevin* (Cornell), Surround, Thiodan (PSU, Cornell - not effective).

Notes for above listings

* = organophosphate or carbamate (Diazinon, Dimethoate, Lannate, Sevin).  A primary intent of restricting Imidan use is to reduce overall worker exposure to residues of the organophosphate/carbamate group.  Curtailed Imidan use that leads to increased use of another member of this group does not seem to support that objective.

** = pyrethroid or Lannate.  Use of these materials is considered disruptive to naturally occurring populations of beneficial arthropod pest predators and parasites.  Permethrin cannot be used after petal fall.