nafex - [NAFEX] chemical pest control

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] chemical pest control
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 06:03:55 -0400

Sevin is used as a component in the majority of chemical thinning by commercial growers.  It has more than double the staying power of Malathion which as an organophosphate is recieving the same kind of resistance and restriction as Imidan and will probably be taken off market well before Sevin. Imidan is not federally restricted for residential use and is not restricted in any way by many states.  In CT you can purchase it without a license and there are still co.s that ship it by the bag even to restrictive states NQA, last I checked.  If you're worried about mites, add a 1% hort oil like Purespray to the mix which will subdue your mites and scale.

On another note, scale is far more dangerous than mites to your trees health and Surround seems to create the perfect home for this pest so I always serve it with oil dressing when the weather permits in at least one or two rounds of Surround application.