nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pear dots

  • From: "ROBERT W JUDY A HARTMAN" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pear dots
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 20:27:14 -0700

Here is another good description of the blister mite, http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/299.htm,
Bob
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 8:09 PM

I have a young Korean Giant tree, and noted this spring that it has lots of little bumps on the twigs.  They can be scraped off, but when I mash them there doesn't seem to be any bug juice in them.  I thought at first they were just a characteristic of the variety, but I kept looking at them and finally discovered that they were on the buds as well.  The tree and the now open flowers seem as healthy as the other pears.
    While I'm at it, I note that some new pear leaves have little red blistery looking marks, often in a line where the leaf was folded.  They have the same look that galls have, but seem to be too small to house anything.  Is it just a physiological thing?  I've never noticed it going on to be anything more serious.
Thanks.  Donna

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----