nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cut down apple trees?

  • From: "Mark Dorogi" <mddorogi@comcast.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cut down apple trees?
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 21:52:36 -0400

Well, I pruned the trees today and decided not to cut down the ones I mentioned.  We’ll see what I can get out of them this year.

A few more questions for those in the know.

Should I expect mating disruption techniques (like Last Call) to work in my small orchard surrounded by wild apples and crabapples?   It seems like the bugs could mate anywhere nearby and just fly into my small stand of trees.

Does anyone have experience with Pyganic?  Specifically, does it work well against curculio?  Is it anywhere near as effective as malathion?

How dangerous do you consider malathion and captan to be?  I don’t like using them; they are approved for home use, for whatever that is worth.  Sometimes I have trouble keeping my kids from running through the orchard for whatever the restricted entry interval period is (I forgot right now…72 hrs?)

Mark