nafex - [NAFEX] PF1 peach

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] PF1 peach
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 15:56:26 -0600

A few weeks ago our peaches were at swollen bud (I'm still learning to recognize the different stages of peach fruit development.  I think I'm getting a bit better at it.)  Anyway we got a 26F frost.  According to the charts, that should have been no problem at all for peaches at swollen but.  In fact, the charts say peaches should be able to take 26F through red calyx.  However, after the freeze the buds on this tree didn't look very good.  Nearly all of them recovered except for about 5% that died.  Of the eleven different peaches we have, none except PF1 suffered any damage.  Anybody out there have a similar experience?  Are PF1 buds a little more winter tender than other peaches?

Mark
KS