nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Seeking late blooming apple scion

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <ed.fackler@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Seeking late blooming apple scion
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:22:19 -0400

Sam (and others whom interested):

     I don't know where your info came from but the only cultivars are your list that are truly late/bloom are as follows.

Court Pendu Plat (terrible quality, very low production)
King Edward (so so or mediocre quality although large size)
Northern Spy (decent quality, very delinquent to bear and very biannual)
Spigold (great quality, moderately deliquent to bear, very biannual and will get 100' tall on dwarf roots!!)
Ralls Genet (perhaps the latest of commonly available souces)
Sweet 15 (perhaps the very BEST in quality, but has other baggage)

Some on your list are extremely early to bloom including Braeburn Newtown Pippin and Winter Banana (often used to pollinate Red Delicious....also early).

Some bloom over a long period (early to mid season) include Gala, Golden Deliciuos to name a couple.

ed