nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Meyer Lemon

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Meyer Lemon
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:58:56 -0400

I grow one in a pot, and it usually produces a few lemons for me each year.  Actually, it lives in a pot in the winter, and in the ground in my backyard in the summer.  It likes full sun, but I found it too much work to keep it watered in a pot in full sun - in the ground, it rarely needs to be watered.  (Indoors, it gets watered once a week, except when I forget.)

Yes, the fruit tastes a little like a tangerine, and a little like a lemon, and a little like itself.  It's nearly as sour as a standard lemon - not a fruit to eat our of hand unless you like very sour fruit.  I like the flavor a lot, and I use it instead of lemon when I have some.  In a good year I get fruit around Passover, and use it for a special Passover dessert.

I've also had some grown in California, in the ground, in full sun year round.  That was a good-sized tree, and produced lots of fruit.  It was sweeter than mine ever get, although still not "out of hand" sweet.