nafex - [NAFEX] pruning apple trees

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pruning apple trees
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 22:35:49 -0500

I have a Jonathan apple on M111. It's grown very slowly in less-than- full sun, but has now reached 10' and last year fruited for the first time. (It's about 8 years old, and due to some neighbors removing trees, gets more sun than it used to.)

Ten feet is tall enough. Much taller and I won't be able to prune or spray it. In fact, I'm thinking of cutting it down to about 8'.

Any advice re pruning a genetically "larger" tree to keep it in check? Should I aim for horizontal growth? Cut it lower and just make it start new leaders form time to time?

Right now it's mostly horizontal branches off a central leader.

Thanks for any advice.

Ginda
eastern Mass., zone 6