nafex - [NAFEX] Yumberry, Myrica rubra

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Yumberry, Myrica rubra
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 19:28:23 -0800 (PST)

Yesterday I spotted a bottle containing yumberry juice at the local supermarket.  Apparently this juice just became available in the US last year and has now been added to some commercial products.

Also called wax myrtle, a google shows that this is Myrica rubra, called Yang Mei berry in/from China.

Does anyone grow this one?  Are there sources of plants or seeds in the US?  I'm not interested in growing as it would be too much of a challenge here, but am curious if this is a developing crop in the US and if anyone has experience with it.

Thanks

John