nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pruning apple trees

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pruning apple trees
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 22:20:18 -0600

Ginda,

You can prune your tree back to 8' by removing a scaffold or two near the top of the tree, depending on how many you have on the current tree. An 8' tree should have no more than 4, maybe 5 sets of scaffolds. The lowest set should be at least 3 to 4' off the ground. If your tree is 10', cut the top 2' off and the next 1 or 2 scaffolds below the new leader. To start a new leader choose the most southwestern, upward pointing scaffold (branch). If there is no upward pointing branch to use as a new leader, pick the next most upward pointing. It will eventually start growing upward as time goes by. But, the more you prune a tree, the more vegetative growth is produced and the energy of the tree then goes into producing more vegetative growth than fruit. You will want to make thinning cuts rather than heading cuts. A thinning cut is always at the collar of a branch where it connects to the trunk or scaffold. A heading cut is made at a bud and is used for shaping and training in the early years of the trees growth. To produce more fruit, thin. To produce more growth, head. If you take too much growth out to lower the tree height, it may not produce fruit for a season.

If you go to http://gardening.about.com/od/treefruits/ig/How-to-Prune-an-Apple-Tree/A-Well-Pruned-Apple-Tree.htm you will see a drawing of a tree that has been cut back and a new leader started. The top set of scaffolds should be cut off in this drawing so the bottom six branches will be left. If you follow the link back to the beginning, you will see the process. If you send me a photo of the tree off list, I can draw the cuts on the photo for you to better assist you. Hope this helps.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com