nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Controlling Peach Tree Pests

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Controlling Peach Tree Pests
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 19:35:35 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I have only limited experience in this area, having only tried nematodes to
combat peach tree borers last year for the first time.

However, for what it's worth, I had no gum exudation at the base of the trees
last year and lost no peach trees. In previous years, borers killed
approximately 25% of my 1-2 year old seedling trees and basal gumming was
routinely seen on every tree except my Indian Blood Free (which was
surrounded by a lush stand of spearmint- so I don't know how much of the
"resistance" was the mint & how much due to IBF's genetics).

I used a single (heavy) application- I'd have to look up the concentration I
used and watered it in well. We had a 100-year drought last year, which
probably influenced the situation as well.

Anyway, it's worth investigating further.

Anton
Red Baron peaches are starting to bloom.