nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Over-anxious peach pits

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Over-anxious peach pits
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:13:36 -0600

Tom,

There were a couple excellent articles in the last Pomona that might be
helpful. One by George Messner discussed how he germinates genetic dwarf
peach seeds. Basically he cleans the stones and stores in the fridge until
Feb.1. Then cracks them open and stratifies the embryo between layers of
slightly damp paper towels back in the fridge. About a month later he takes
the bags out and puts them in a dark place like a bread box. Then watches
for sprouts and plants any sprouts in an 8" pot and transplants them the
following fall to the orchard area. The other article addresses the problem
you're having now. It's by Richard Fahey and details how to grow trees in
cardboard milk cartons. Richard discusses many reasons to germinate seeds
early, then grow them in the milk carton. Basically get yourself several 1
quart paper milk cartons (hope you like milk). Cut the top off and fill
with your potting medium. Poke a few holes in the bottom for drainage.
Grow until early summer then transplant. The transplanting was the neatest
part of the whole thing. You dig the small hole, carefully cut the bottom
of the milk carton off, disturbing as little dirt as possible, set the
carton in the hole and backfill. Once the hole is filled carefully pull the
carton upwards and it's supposed to leave the dirt and seedling intact with
no damage to the roots, hence that's why you can easily transplant in the
summer. Pretty clever.

By the way if your not a Nafex member, let me make a plug for joining (or if
you are already a member allow me to make the plug for others). You get 4
issues/year of Pomona, and like Bill stated a couple days ago, I can't wait
to get my issue, and it generally gets read pretty fast. I think I've
learned as much from Pomona as I have this list-serv. It's $17 a year. If
interested here's the Website: www.nafex.org

Mark
KS