nafex - [NAFEX] Controlling Crown Borers

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Controlling Crown Borers
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:49:59 -0600

Bob,
May I save you some time? Re your post (below), you need green leaves to get the insecticide inside the plant. If the roots are growing and the insecticide molecules small enough, the plant maybe/might/possibly up-take that way otherwise you'd have to soak the roots a l-o-n-g time to get at the borers.
How long have you been a member? Do you read the Pomona? I wrote an article about controlling cane borer just a few Pomonas ago. Controlling crown borers should be similar and you don't have to dig up the plants.

Hi Mark,

No answers from Nafex...
I have read about the critters and it looks like the only way to get rid of them is to drench the crowns with insecticide.
I don't really want to do that and so will dig all the roots up early in the spring and do an insecticidal soak in some buckets before transplanting them to a new place.

If you can remember in the fall, I'll know for sure if it worked.

bob