nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scale on Citrus

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scale on Citrus
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:48:03 -0600

Dormant oil might be too strong. I'd recommend a lighter horticultural oil
like Sunspray It discourages spider mites as well.

The best non-toxic product I've found is Enstar, an insect hormone that zaps
scale beautifully. I bought a small bottle for around $40 several years ago
and have kept it in the fridge between uses. Works like a charm and I
suspect that it might even be organically approved (search to be sure).
Whether organic or not it is essentially non-toxic. Much better to use than
dimethoate (Cygon), the best of the poisons for scale.

Steve Herje Lone Rock WI. 8" of snow today---minus 25F or so two days ago.