nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scale on Citrus

  • From: rmelrose@danvilleVT.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scale on Citrus
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:47:12 -0500 (EST)

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon Jan 21 15:46:36 2008
> From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
> Subject: [NAFEX] Scale on Citrus
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> I have a couple of kumquats planted in pots that I bring indoors for winter
> and place under lights. They usually flower and produce fruit. This year,
> the plants have been inundated with scale. I've sprayed with
> clove-rosemary oil several times. The oil knocks the infestation back, but
> it reappears soon. Since these plants are indoors, and I'm basically an
> organic gardener, can anyone suggestion another non-toxic battle plan?
> I've already lost one plant to scale, and now several houseplants have
> scale, too.
> Doreen Howard
> WI-IL Border, Zone 4b, where it's snowing AGAIN
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

With citrus (and other things, including orchids) inside I find that
repeated (weekly at least) spray with weak detergent mixture (a few drops
per pint of water) alternating with propyl alcohol will knock the scale
back enough that they get through the winter. Neither is too unpleasant for
the human occupants. I whack them with light oil spray, neem seems
particularly effective, when they are outside. Of course I have not
actually banished the scale, it is just more or less under control.

Richard