nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum variety confusion

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum variety confusion
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 18:32:36 -0500

A 21:40 07.12.29 -0600, vous avez écrit :

Plum question. Are Obilinaya and Obilnaja plum the same thing? They're both from Russia. Dr. Bob Anderson, (retired) Cornell, recommended Obilinaya for New York but doesn't mention anything about Obilnaja. I had assumed they were the same, are they? Is it possible it's just a variant in spelling?

<<<<

According to my wife who is of ex-USSR origin, these would obviously be different ways to write the same russian word, as others have noted. The closest equivalent English words would be Abundance or Prolific - referring to the high productivity of the variety.
Claude