nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting C. mas

  • From: Alexander Dragotin <a_dragotin@yahoo.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting C. mas
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:41:23 +0000 (GMT)

I chipped 4 years ago 3 different C. mas varieties giving greater fruits (about 1 inch long) on the branches of small C. mas seedling. The branches of the rootstock seedling weren’t thicker than 0.15 inches. The small tree has fruited.

Another time I grafted on C. mas seedling only one variety and left the own seedling stay and be a pollinator. Of coarse I have restricted every year the grow of the seedling own part. Some years later the grafted variety was so high prolific, that one branch has been broken, not withstanding the fruits weight.

The location of the two mentioned cases is in South‑Europe, USDA Zone 7.

Usually C. mas makes only a thin budsticks in the summer. But you can always find on an older rootstock the corresponded thin branches to make successful the chip budding. If you have the case of older rootstocks and the bark slips from the wood you could use the T‑cut to insert the bud. After the chip or the bud is inserted I use parafilm grafting tape.

Don't hesitate, try"

Alex