nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Varmints and netting

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Varmints and netting
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:52:23 -0800 (PST)

Ginda,  I tried the black monofilament stuff one time and threw it out.  We are talking the kind sold as "bird netting" with the triangular mesh, right?  I now use "deer netting" with a square mesh that is slightly larger than the triangular but still black monofilament  The deer netting is much more managable and is reusable.

John

Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us> wrote:
No doubt that's why they were snared. But I have seen juncos feeding
on my red currants.

The low hardware-cloth fence around the blueberries has completely
eliminated critter-death in my blueberry netting (even though I use
the black monofilament stuff). An outdoor cat has eliminated the
need to net the currants and raspberries, so long as I pick them
fairly promptly. She kills some critters, but at least I don't have
to disentangle the little corpses from my netting.

I'm intrigued by the white woven netting, however, which I hadn't
seen before. I hate the black monofilament stuff. It's fragile, and
it gets tangled in everything, such as my buttons and itself.
Contrary to Alan's experience, most of the birds do seem to see it,
however. Two years ago a bird watched me as I spread the netting
over my just-about-ripe blueberry bed. As soon as I finished, the
bird checked it out, hopping from post to post (I drape the netting
over the same posts that the hardware cloth is attached to), looking
carefully at the protected blueberries, and tweeting loudly at each
stop. Perhaps it was my imagination, but he certainly sounded
frustrated and angry with me. (I don't remember the species. It
wasn't a junco, something more solitary and territorial that had been
guarding the patch from its kin, I think.)

Ginda