nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cornus Kousa revisit

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cornus Kousa revisit
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:47:43 -0800

The evergreen one is probably Cornus capitata. I haven't tried eating its fruit. Cornucopia says is sweetish mingled with a slight bitter taste and is eaten or made into preserves in India.

I was surprised to see the differences in about a dozen Cornus kousa at our nearest rec centre. The flowers were all different sizes and shapes, and the fruits vary too. The flowers and fruits were all smaller than those on my 40 year old tree. I think there might have been a big gap when the trees were not readily available locally, and it seems that seedlings are being sold now. I haven't sampled any of the rec centre's fruit - maybe I should.

Cornucopia doesn't mention the taste of Big Apple's fruit, but says Milky Way has "somewhat the flavor of papaya". So there is something to aim for.

I wonder about crosses with mas? Has anybody tried?

Diane Whitehead
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8, cool Mediterranean climate
mild rainy winters, mild dry summers