nafex - [NAFEX] Pixie crunch fruiting in fall

  • From: Stefan Brandle <sbrandle@css.taylor.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pixie crunch fruiting in fall
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:28:32 -0500

My little pixie crunch got frozen out this spring along with the rest of the plants. I noticed sometime in September (or so) that it was flowering again. I patted it gently on the head (so to speak) and told it that I appreciated the effort, but that it shouldn't get too set on producing fruit. "Wait until next spring and fruit your heart out then" I advised it.

Anyway, it has fruit on it. About 3/4 inch diameter (~2cm). Given where the temperatures are heading, this is not going to end well. But here's the point of this posting: Could pixie crunch be self-fertile? To the best of my knowledge, nothing malus-ish of mine was blooming. There may have been some flowers on a neighbor's crab. I didn't look at the time and didn't notice anything. We only have three neighbors who have any form of apple within a 200 yard/meter radius.

So, it doesn't prove anything, but maybe pixie is self-fertile.

-- sb

In zone 4B and changing, where pixies are making magical apples.