nafex - [NAFEX] Black Lace Elderberry

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black Lace Elderberry
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 21:32:27 -0700

Two years ago I planted a "Black Lace" Sambucus nigra elderberry. It was touted as a replacement for Japanese maples in cold zones, being hardy to Zone 4. Thank goodness the cold hardiness isn't likely to be tested here, but it IS a nice ornamental. This year, however, it bloomed and set fruit, and surprised me be being much better than my York and Nova elderberries. The berries were larger and had none of the herbaceous or strong flavors of the types specifically bred for fruit. It would never replace a good currant or gooseberry as a cold hardy berry, but it was actually possible to eat it raw and enjoy it.

Since this was the first year, it didn't produce much fruit, and the clusters weren't very full, but if it produces well as it gets older, it could be a replacement for other elderberries.

-Lon Rombough

For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com