nafex - Re: [NAFEX] honeycrisp market

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] honeycrisp market
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:46:48 -0500

Murph,

This season we harvested about 80 bushels of Honeycrisp and sold them for $19.95 per peck (about $2/lb.)  They lasted 2 days!  We should have charged more, but I can't justify the price for the very reason you point out.  I'll take a good Royal Empire any day over a Honeycrisp, but the Gen X crowd in the Chicago area will pay over $3.00/gal for gas to drive 2 hours in their SUV, Volvo, Audi, Lexus, etc...  to Royal Oak Farm for the Honeycrisp!  What was it P.T. Barnum said....There's one born every minute!!

And....yes, we are planting 500 more Honeycrisp trees next spring to give us over 2,000 total.  We are also adding about 400 of the new Snow Sweet from UMinn.  You can check it out at  http://www.apples.umn.edu/nurseries/snowsweet.html   We're getting them from Stark Bros.  I'll let you know how they do on B9.