nafex - Re: [NAFEX] honeycrisp market

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] honeycrisp market
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:51:19 -0400

Dennis,
I am trying to figure out some maths from your numbers...

You wrote:

This season we harvested about 80 bushels of Honeycrisp
<<<<

and, a little further:

And....yes, we are planting 500 more Honeycrisp trees next spring to give us over 2,000 total.
<<<<

So I figure you got these 80 bu from your existing 1500 trees - I assume then that most are still too young to be in production.
I don't know what size of trees you have, but for mid-size, 4 bu per tree could be a normal avereage (unless you have really dwarfs). So, when your 2000 trees will be in full production, you would harvest somewhere around 8000 bu of Honeycrisps...?? That's 100 times more than what you sold in 2 days, so would take 200 days to sell - I don't think they keep that long.
I imagine you have already thought about this as I gather from your posts that you are a wise business man and a good orchardist - so you must have some other plans to sell all these 8000 bu.

Claude