nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Seckel pears

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Seckel pears
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 8:05:24 -0400

My uncle has a pear. It was sold as something else, but appears to be
seckel based on its fruit. It started fruiting when we didn't know of any
other pears in the area. It fruited more after a younger pear started to
flower, but that might have been due to greater maturity - it was only a
couple years after the 'seckel' started flowering.

Raccoons have nearly killed both trees, eating the bark in the winter. The
pear bark seems to attract raccoons shortly after the trees come into
bearing.
___
Ginda