nafex - [NAFEX] Seckel pears

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Seckel pears
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:58:00 -0500

I was glad to see Seckel pears in my local grocery store today, and very surprised at how small they are (I'd never seen them before). But they were very tasty.

Online, there seems to be some disagreement about Seckel pears. Some sites say that they need another variety for cross-pollination, and some sites say that they don't. Anyone here know? I wouldn't mind planting a dwarf tree, but I'm not sure if I have room for two (rather, I've got other things I'd like to plant, and I'm running out of room).

If I do need two varieties (I have Asian pears, but apparently they bloom too early), what would you recommend for another good-eating pear - something compatible with Seckel, but that maybe ripens at a different time?

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
All of the Bush administration's science actions, taken together, have led to a depressing morale deficit among scientists employed by the US government, who have repeatedly seen their work trashed, suppressed or ignored. - Chris Mooney