nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cold hardy rootstock and grafting

  • From: "Neal A. Koch" <nkoch2@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Exchange <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cold hardy rootstock and grafting
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:46:39 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I am attempting to graft Budagovsky 118 rootstock to various Minnesota apple
types:
Zestar, Honeycrisp, Northern Spy, Regent and Scotia. So far all these grafts
have
taken. The questions:
What varieties may not do as well on Bud 118?
If I use Antonovka roostock with other northern varieties (Norland, Haralson,
Honeygold, etc.)what problems will I encounter?
What time of year do I dig and mail bareroot plants to Duluth--zone 3b? I
live
in the Ohio valley in southern West Virginia? Leaf fall and freeze happens at
the
end of October.

Neal A. Koch
Learning a new hobby in retirement.