nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cold hardy rootstock and grafting

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "Neal A. Koch" <nkoch2@earthlink.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cold hardy rootstock and grafting
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 20:50:04 -0500

I know that this is an issue with those who do a lot of grafting, but....

Keeping “Legal” when Grafting with Honeycrisp

As you know, Honeycrisp is a patented apple cultivar and if you are grafting with Honeycrisp

budwood, you need to pay royalties.

The process has changed over the years. The following information was received from

Rachel Muntean of the University of Minnesota Patent and Technology Office:

“If farmers want to propagate their own Honeycrisp trees, they will need to contact one of the

nurseries in the list I'm providing to you. These nurseries have sublicensing rights that allow

them to grant propagation rights to farmers. The nurseries collect our royalties and will pass

them on to us, and will also have their own administrative fees. Farmers are free to work

with any nursery they want, since the geographic location is irrelevant. Obtaining a

sublicense in this way and paying the royalties owed to the nursery is all that is required for a

farmer to propagate honeycrisp trees legally.”

The list of nurseries include:

Adams County Nursery, Inc.

Asperse, PA

Phillip D. Baugher

(717) 677-8105

Hilltop Fruit Trees LLC

Hartfort, MI

Steve Flamm

(800) 253-2911

Snyder, LLC

Wenatchee, WA

John J. Snyder, Jr.

800-232-2636

Van Well Nursery

Vancouver, WA

Peter Van Well

509-886-8189

Willow Drive Nursery, Inc.

Ephrata, WA

Ken Adams

Toll Free 888-54-TREES

Cameron Nursery, L.P.

Eltopia, WA

Todd Cameron

509-266-4669

As I understand the process, once you contact one of the nurseries before you graft, they will

issue you a license authorizing you to graft a specified number of trees. You will then sign and

return the agreement with the royalties to the nursery.

Zestar! is also a patented apple cultivar and currently, a program for collecting royalties is in the

planning stage.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com