nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sending/Receiving seeds from outside US

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sending/Receiving seeds from outside US
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:35:30 -0400

On Aug 30, 2007, at 11:50 PM, Steve wrote:

They seem ready and willing to ship to US addresses:
http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/instructions.html
I don't believe there are many regulations about shipping seeds.

I think some countries outside the US ship to US addresses and others don't. The company may have obtained whatever approval is necessary; you could check with them.

About shipping seeds to outside the US, I'm sure there is no problem
sending them out. It would be up to the other country whether they have
rules about letting them in.

I would mark the outside of the package clearly with the contents ("live plant material: seeds" and the species). There certainly are seed borne diseases. Also, a plant common and no problem in some areas can be a hazardous invasive in other areas.

It occurs to me that you could also check with the post office. They should know, or know where you can find out, about shipping seeds.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly