nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Yuzu?

  • From: Michael Nave <jmichaelnave@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Yuzu?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:27:02 -0700 (PDT)

Live trees are occasionally available in southern
California nurseries and probably in the SF Bay area.
Be warned that some people claim that not all trees
sold as Yuzu are actually Yuzu.

Yuzu trees seems to reproduce pretty closely from seed
but Yuzu is very slow to produce fruit when grown as a
seedling. By very slow I mean from 10-15 years. The
tree is fairly cold hardy. Mine survived 18-19 degrees
this last winter.

You can find the fruit pretty often in Bay area Asian
grocery stores. Mizuno in San Jose has it frequently.

--- Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> I was listening to an interview of a cookbook author
> and he mentioned
> a type of citrus that's popular in Japanese cooking.
> He said it's
> difficult to get fresh in the U.S. I was wondering
> if anyone had
> experience growing it and if they knew of a source
> for live trees
> (rather than seed....does citrus seed grow true?)
>
> http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/yuzu.htm
>

> Spidra Webster
>
> Berkeley, CA Zone 9 a or b

Got a little couch potato?