nafex - [NAFEX] Sending/Receiving seeds from outside US

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sending/Receiving seeds from outside US
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:14:04 -0500

Hi folks,

I had a question I wonder if someone could help me with. I have been
considering ordering some seeds from a company in Canada:
http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/welcome.html

My question is, is it legal for United States citizens to receive seeds from
outside the U.S., through the mail? I remember somebody posting an article
sometime back about a man who brought in some citrus scionwood from the
Orient in a suitcase and it was illegal (It turned out the wood had some
terrible disease and the guy was in big trouble). Do seeds have to go
through customs? Is there some agency that has to check them for diseases?
I know they are generally safer than scionwood, but still as I understand,
some diseases like plum pox can be communicated through seeds.

Also can I legally send some of my seeds outside the U.S. via the postal
service?

Thanks,
Mark
Kansas