nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grape suggestions?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grape suggestions?
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 09:51:26 -0500

Two you might consider: Swenson Red has been pretty reliable seeded; its flavor can win over people who insist on seedless. Petite Jewel has small berries and mostly seedless; looks like it's coming in with a good crop this year.
My favorite for disease resistence, production & vigor is St. Croix, another
of the Swenson varieties.
Here in zone 7 I like Champanel and consider it to be more disease resistant
than the concord. I still like Niagara and Fredonia

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll give these a close look. As I say, I'd like to get a variety of tastes and ripening times, if possible.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
For as in absolute governments the king is law, so in free countries the law ought to be king and there ought to be no other. - Thomas Paine