nafex - [NAFEX] Grape suggestions?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: "growgrapes@yahoogroups.com" <growgrapes@yahoogroups.com>, NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grape suggestions?
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 09:43:37 -0500

I'd like to plant four more grapevines next spring - each one a different variety - and could use some suggestions. I've got Lon's book, but they all look good. There are just so MANY different kinds.

I want them primarily for fresh-eating, and making juice with any extras. I'm really not going to be making wine, I'm sure. Of course, I'd prefer that they ripen at different times, with early grapes being especially nice. I don't care much if they're seeded or seedless - I'd almost prefer seeds, but I don't know why. And I'm planning to plant them 8 ft. apart, which I know is crowding things (my other option is 16' apart, but then I could only plant two), so it might help if they weren't TOO vigorous. But that's a minor issue.

A few years ago, I planted two Concord and one Caco. Unfortunately, it was a spur-of-the-moment purchase at a local store, and I didn't know what I was getting. They're doing fine (the Concord are extremely vigorous), and there's no apparent disease or bug problems. But the Concord grapes ripen singly, not the whole bunch at once (apparently due to our hot summer nights). And I don't have a clue what the Caco will be like, since this is the first year I'll get many grapes. (Note that they both survived the late freeze remarkably well.)

I like the really 'grapey' taste of the Concords or of the wild grapes that used to grow along the Missouri where I lived as a kid. But then again, when it comes to food, I like just about everything. Anyone care to give me some suggestions - four varieties I might plant next spring?

Thanks much,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (cold zone 5, AHS heat zone 7)

--
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the worlds ills and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John Gardner