nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Black Gold Cherries

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Black Gold Cherries
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 09:46:16 -0500

I put in 10 Black Gold Cherries in Spring of 2006. Zone 4 Maine. When I go up there this weekend, I'll check them out. I had a group of graft failures, and can't remember if it was them or somebody else.

Thanks, Murph. Oops, and I just noticed that Black Gold Cherries are supposed to be self-pollinating, so I guess that answers my question about the late blooming period.

Also up there is Benton, Surefire, Evans, 10 each. The Bentons are the ones attacked, almost totally defoliated by the Click Beetles. They have recovered, and are leafing out again.

I don't even know what a Click Beetle is, though I'm still having a terrible time with Oriental Fruit Moths attacking many of my young trees.

Although you're in zone 4, I know that Maine's climate is a LOT different from Nebraska's. Trees here have to put up with cold winters without, usually, much snow cover, very hot and humid, though dry, summers, and lots of wind at any time of year. I'm in town, so I don't get the worst of it, and I can water through the dry spells (though I can't water fast enough or often enough to completely make up for the dry weather in the summer).

Well, this is an experiment, anyway. I've already been told that sweet cherries aren't recommended here. I just want to give it a try and see what happens. But if the Black Gold Cherries are self-pollinating, maybe I'll just plant one. Hmm,... that would mean I've got room for something ELSE! :-D

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
During many ages there were witches. The Bible said so. The Bible commanded that they should not be allowed to live. Therefore the Church ... imprisoned, tortured, hanged, and burned whole hordes and armies of witches, and washed the Christian world clean with their foul blood. Then it was discovered that there was no such thing as witches, and never had been. One does not know whether to laugh or to cry. - Mark Twain