nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bali vs Evans

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bali vs Evans
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 08:51:30 -0700 (PDT)

4 or 5 years ago I bought 50 small tissue cultures trees from Lawyers in
Montana, I think
they were about $4 each. They grew prolifically but at 4' tall voles stripped
the bark in
the winter, (I had failed to put old window screen around the trunks) it
killed them to
the ground, but they came back with a vengeance and are now 7' high and
7'diameter. We
picked our first small crop this year. Berries varied from 5/8" to 7/8 inch.
Extremely
juicy and flavorful. We have one 'Bali' from St Lawrence, no obvious
differences in berry
size / color or root sprouting. 1/4th of all our trees root sprout. We tried
drying a few
cherries this year - wonderful, we plan on getting a proper pitter next year
and drying
lots of them.
http://www.usask.ca/agriculture/plantsci/dom_fruit/articles/
(Click
'cherries.pdf' )
Birds and chipmunks are the main reason we have not tried them absolutely
fully ripe - so
I have one branch we have not yet picked - I simply slid an old nylon
stocking over the
entire branch. I am eager to see just how sweet they can get. Probably will
pick them
the second or third week in August.
Del, Z3a

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all
the tools to get online.