nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bali vs Evans

  • From: "Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bali vs Evans
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 19:47:39 -0500

Donna wrote:
>I don't see anything from Lucky on this subject.
I haven't had time, recently, to comment, or even to
dig back through my archived NAFEX discussions for
those missives from the past by Bernie Nikolai, Del
Stubbs, and others who've commented on Evans'
performance in their zone 2/3 settings.
I've got a Bali from SLN - tissue-cultured specimen,
and it suckers profusely, well out away from the
original. I've passed suckers around to a number of
folks through the years. Seems like I recall
Bernie(or someone) saying that not all of them sucker
- maybe 2 out of 3? Somebody - Bernie, maybe? - had
indicated that Evans just did not surive or do well
grafted - even on sufficiently cold-hardy understocks.
I'll try to round up those pertinent previous
discussions and cut & paste the appropriate portions
soon.

Mine fruits later than the Montmorency, and the birds
get most of the fruits, 'cuz I'm usually not thinking
about cherries by then. I can't recall if they're
red or yellow-fleshed; Less 'meat' on 'em than on the
Montmorency, though.

LLP