nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bali vs Evans

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bali vs Evans
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:14:18 -0500

Here in St. Paul, Minn., Evans has performed admirably for me (actually
for my neighbor, in whose yard I planted a tree). It has not missed a
crop since the tree started to bear about 5 years ago (I'd estimate it's
been in the ground about 7 years and is now about 15 feet tall). I
believe the tree came from Lawyer Nursery (I got it from Del Stubbs, who
had bought a quantity of small trees for his orchard). This year the
harvest was really good; I canned 18 quarts and the neighbors probably
picked another 7 or 8. Yes, the fruit is tart when ripe, but that
doesn't bother me; I still like to munch on the fruit right off the
tree. Compared to Northstar, the fruit is much lighter colored and the
juice a much paler pink. Our own-root tree does sucker, with some
suckers coming out of the lawn as far as 8 ft. away or out of an
adjacent compost pile. About the only weakness I've seen so far is
Evans propensity to get mildew on the foliage and fruit when we have a
stretch of extraordinarily wet or humid weather. -- Sam Brungardt (USDA
Zone 4b)