nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bali vs Evans

  • From: Steve <SDW12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bali vs Evans
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:07:52 -0400

I was hoping someone would have the answer to this. I recently read a description of the Evans cherry and it nearly made me want to try a cherry tree again.
Years ago, I tried a Northstar cherry. After it died, I planted a Bali. Both had the same history. They grew well and looked very promising at first. Later they would bloom but never produced more than a handful of cherries. When the trunk diameter got up to about 4 inches or slightly bigger, they just died.
If, in fact, the Bali and Evans are the same, there is little point in planting an Evans, at least until global warming kicks in. ;-)

Steve Wilson

jfruth@tds.net wrote:

Someone once mentioned that Bali and Evans cherries are the same plant with different names. I have evidence to the contrary. My Evans, that I bought from FEDCO, has fire-engine red fruits that are 3/4" to 7/8" in diameter. A friend of mine bought a Bali from St. Lawrence Nursery. His fruits are purplish and run 1/2" to 5/8". Does anyone else have access to both varieties for a comparison of my observations?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: