nafex - [NAFEX] grafting comments from 07

  • From: John Smith <friendly27sw@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grafting comments from 07
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:12:42 -0700 (PDT)

I thought I would post my grafting experiences from
this spring. I'm not a real experienced grafter but
have had close to 100% takes on my apple, pear, plum,
cherry, mulberry etc grafts the past few years using
the plastic electrical tape and doing cleft grafts.
The few that died appeared to be issues with poor
rootstocks. However this year I used the more
expandable rubber electrical tape thinking I wouldn't
have to come back later and carefully spit the
grafting tape to allow for new growth (and potentially
damaged the new grafts and certainly creating a nice
wound in the side of the graft). While I didn't have
any side by side comparison, my sucess rate fell to a
little less than 50%. I think the problem is because
my cutting technique isn't the greatest, what got me
good grafts in the past was the fact that I'd get
these clefts really tight for good contact despite the
poor cutting. This rubber tape doesn't let me get the
graft as tight, and then cracks fairly quickly in the
sun and breaks apart before the grafts have fully
knitted together. I think it goes to show that every
grafter developes their own way to do things that's
the best for them...

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?