nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting comments from 07

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting comments from 07
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:22:03 -0700 (PDT)

Good observation. Try a few grafts with the splice joint-- just a long
slanting cut
on the scion & a long slanting cut on the rootstock. This gives you 2 flat
faces,
up to 2" long, for pretty good cambial contact around the edge. I've found I
can't
get decent cambial contact with any other joint method. Also, I'm not
comfortable
with any of the joint methods which risk injury to the grafter; splice joint
is
about the safest.

--- John wrote:

> I thought I would post my grafting experiences from
> this spring. I'm not a real experienced grafter but
> have had close to 100% takes on my apple, pear, plum,
> cherry, mulberry etc grafts the past few years using
> the plastic electrical tape and doing cleft grafts.
> The few that died appeared to be issues with poor
> rootstocks. However this year I used the more
> expandable rubber electrical tape thinking I wouldn't
> have to come back later and carefully spit the
> grafting tape to allow for new growth (and potentially
> damaged the new grafts and certainly creating a nice
> wound in the side of the graft). While I didn't have
> any side by side comparison, my sucess rate fell to a
> little less than 50%. I think the problem is because
> my cutting technique isn't the greatest, what got me
> good grafts in the past was the fact that I'd get
> these clefts really tight for good contact despite the
> poor cutting. This rubber tape doesn't let me get the
> graft as tight, and then cracks fairly quickly in the
> sun and breaks apart before the grafts have fully
> knitted together. I think it goes to show that every
> grafter developes their own way to do things that's
> the best for them...

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time