nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hope is on the way!

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hope is on the way!
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 09:31:16 -0500

My husband found this on a Buddhist website.  We have read Larry Dossey's books and know about the Spindrift experiments, but I never really thought of it in regard to gardening.  Maybe enough prayer and the rain will leave TX and move over here.  But it should be open ended prayer, not for any particular purpose, but for your forest, your trees, etc to be happy and do well.  Donna

Mojo Gardener

My great passion in life is vegetable gardening. I was one of those people born with a green thumb. Like so many others, as the winter raged on, I poured over seed catalogs and new plot ideas, deciding what to grow in the spring. There are basic rules to best ensure a successful growing season. You need to plant at the right time, after the last frost – which can be tricky, as Mother Nature seems to be a merry prankster. Next, you must work the soil, remove weeds, the nutrients in the soil must be balanced, your seeds viable and of good genetics, the plants need to be spaced properly, and nitrogen enriched plant food should be given at just the right times. Even when all those essentials are taken care of, there may be problems with disease, insects, hungry bunnies, and the weather. That’s why I’m a mojo gardener. I take all the right steps, use all the best nutrients in perfect measure, and I commune with my plants with love, intention, and the positive energy of prayer.

In his book, “The Hidden Message of Water,” Dr. Masaru Emoto, describes a phenomena he calls “hado.” He explains that hado is the energy or vibration inherent in all things. When you feel and send positive energy to plants, they respond to your intention. Anyone who has been gardening for a while can attest to mysterious effect that thoughts, feelings, and intention have on the plants we grow. The prayer research group, Spindrift, conducted all their prayer experiments with sprouts, seedlings, plants, and molds. When prayer was directed or withheld from their test subjects, there were measurable results in growth. Prayed for plants thrived at an accelerated rate when compared to those subjects not prayed for. What was even more interesting was the difference in growth between test subjects that received directed prayer and those receiving open-ended prayer.

It may come as surprise to some that those test subjects that were specifically prayed for did not fare as well as those test subjects that received an open-ended prayer – that the best result occur for that subject. Further, the electrical signal registered by the test subject and duly recorded, indicated that directed prayer was hit or miss, in other words, the intention of the prayer did not always affect the plant. On the other hand, prayers for the test subjects that were open-ended, produced a stronger, more consistent electrical signature and the plants, etc., did better. For details on these tests and more, I direct you to the book, “A Journey Into Prayer,” by Bill Sweet. Somehow, I am still attracted to praying specifically for things as it seems more natural.

Each gardening season, I learn more about plants and the plants cause me to learn more about myself. For example, last season, I planted several Roma tomatoes that were puny and I didn’t know if they would survive, let alone produce fruit. As the season progressed, those Roma runts were dwarfed by the heirloom varieties next to them. Every few days I would visit them and stroke their leaves, chanting gentle daimoku with the intention that they would flourish and produce fruit. Amazingly, these three runts produced many fruit. They did not grow tall or wide, like other Roma’s I had grown, but put all their energy into the fruit. Each plant produced about thirty fruit and then died, while my other tomatoes kept growing and producing in abundance.

This year, I will experiment with open-ended and directed prayer to see if there is indeed any discernable difference in health or production. As usual, there will be the same symbiotic feelings of love and mutual benefit. The garden is my sacred place.