nafex - [NAFEX] Oak Leaves acidic?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Oak Leaves acidic?
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:50:23 -0500

Scott Williamson wrote: "I was wondering if anyone knew if the comments you always hear about oak
leaves acidifying the soil is true or if it's similar to pine needles in
that it depends on what kind of soil the tree is growing in."

Scott,
I have found Oak leaves to be no more acidic than any other mulch!

Someone recently mentioned that pine needles are as acidic as the soil they grow in - I have not found that to be true. I wonder if the writer had actually tested those pine needles or is just spouting some 'old wives' tale, What I have found is that pine needles grown on alkaline soil tend to produce compost with a pH of 7.0 AND pine needles grown on acidic soil tend to produce compost of 7.0 - yes I own, and use, pH meters. I like to use the words "tend to" in the event of possible exceptions.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Oak Leaves acidic?, Jim Fruth, 06/16/2007