nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Unknown Beetles

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Unknown Beetles
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:38:39 -0500

Could it be Rose Chafers? Rose chafers are similar to Japanese Beetles and are also about 1/2 inch long, but are slimmer, dull, and buff-colored. The feeding habit of Rose Chafers is similar, chewing holes between the veins of the leaves, resulting in a skeletonized appearance. The beetles may also feed on flowers and fruit. The larvae of both species live in the soil and are considered turf pests. When beetles are observed feeding in a raspberry planting they can be controlled with appropriate insecticide sprays applied to the foliage. Pheromone and scent traps are available to control Japanese beetlesand may work with Rose Chafers, but these have not proven effective in commercial settings. Place traps near, but not within, the planting to prevent increased injury from beetles which are attracted to, but do not fall into, the traps.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com