nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cherry Tree Lunacy

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cherry Tree Lunacy
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:44:26 -0400

Hi,

Take old nylons and cut the legs off at the top of the thigh. Slip the
nylon down, over the fruiting cherry branch covering the fruit. Then twist
tie, or tie the open end around the branch. Everything on that branch will
be protected from birds.

At a minimum you will get a pie or two, depending on how many branches you
protect.

Not sure if you could make similar tubes with row cover.

Wind does become an issue. Strong winds will rip the nylons off the tree,
leaving them scattered around the orchard. An unusual sight in an
orchard... Having it look like the morning after a wild party.

Try explaining that as strangers pull into your laneway. Ha, ha, ha! That
is lunacy!

Later,
Tom