nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cherry Tree Lunacy

  • From: Amanda Emily <amanda@wa-geek.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cherry Tree Lunacy
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 08:39:29 -0700

I wrap the lower branches of my cherries with row covers and clip them with clothespins, otherwise I don't get a single cherry without bird peckings in them (the neighbor across the street feeds every crow in town and they all seem to show up at his house)

Amanda

Mark Dorogi wrote:
This year I'm determined to get just a few ripe cherries off of our 15'
Schmidt's Biggereau cherry tree. The raccoons, squirrels, and birds love
this tree, and all I get is to clean up cherry pits on the ground.

I've hung a dozen pie tins in the tree, and put a aluminum flashing guard
over the trunk to try to keep the raccoons out of it.

The tree is too big to put netting over. I hate bird netting. What I
thought of was covering individual branches with floating row cover. I
loosely wrap it around a branch loaded with cherries and clip it together in
a few spots with paper clips:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/mddorogi/CherryTree002.jpg

Somewhat tedious; I need to come up with a better way to secure and close up
the "row cover baggie".
Has anyone done this, or for that matter just covered a whole tree with
floating row cover? It would probably work on my smaller Northstar Cherry,
which is only about 6' tall. The row cover is easier to work with than bird
netting IMO.
The tree: http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/mddorogi/CherryTree001.jpg

Mark

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**