nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 11:26:11 -0500

Bill,

This is our first year to try serviceberries. Lon is right, they're native
to prairie states so should do well in your area with lower rainfall,
although I would give them a drink when they need it. We have Regent.
According to St-Pierre's book, "Growing Saskatoons-a manual for
orchardists", Regent is somewhat resistant to saskatoon/juniper rust
(Gymnosporangium spp.). I believe this is the same organism Doc is
referring to (quince rust). Regent also has some resistance to
Entomosporium leaf and berry spot. It is a bush type supposedly growing to
2m. It was recommended to me by Richard Moyer and so far it seems to be
doing well. I got mine from Hidden Springs nursery and was pleased with the
plants.

Jan,

Erwinia amylovora is known here as fireblight. It does affect saskatoons,
but again according to St-Pierre, it displays itself in saskatoons with the
typical blackened sheperds crook, as it does in apple/pear. Your right it's
supposed to be very bad, but it doesn't sound like what Doc's describing.

Mark
Kansas