nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 18:50:05 -0700

I've harped on this before, but the main problem is that the commercial varieties are mostly Canadian selections from the dry Prairie Provinces where disease isn't a problem. However, the genus Amelanchier is very widespread in North America and it should be possible to find locally adapted selections in many parts of the country if you but look. Here, the Canadian types had over 75% infection with rust, while local forms had less than 5%. The local types weren't as sweet, but I've no doubt that a serious explorer could find better quality selections if they look. That was how the Canadians did it in the first place - looked for the best wild types and bred from them.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more; http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com