nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:44:09 -0500

I don't know if you have the same problem I have with Serviceberry but the
fruit is attacked every spring by Quince Rust here in SoCar. This is the
first year in seven that they haven't been attacked and totally ruined by the
rust.

Well, I must admit this thread is a little disappointing, since I'd been thinking that Serviceberries (Juneberry, Saskatoon, Shadblow, etc.) might be interesting to try. Somewhere, I read that they taste rather like a blueberry (which I love), but that they don't require acid soil. I was wondering how they'd do in Nebraska, and which varieties might be recommended for fresh eating (shrubs, by preference, though I might be able to handle a small tree).

Well, all fruit has problems, I suppose. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'd be interested in other comments about Serviceberries in general.

Bill

--
It's not true that life is one damn thing after another. It's the same damn thing over and over. - Edna St. Vincent Milay